Saturday, September 4, 2010

Crock Pot Slow Cooker Jambalaya


There are many reasons to love Labor Day.  The three day holiday, the last time to wear white without getting dirty looks,  and a last chance to get in a good BBQ.  I love Labor Day Weekend because of tradition!  Namely the one where VBRAT et. al. comes to New York J

My crew of friends from undergrad are kind enough to indulge me by coming to New York during labor day weekend.  It’s a long trek from the Maryland/Virginia/D.C. area so I made sure to get started early. It was my first time busting out my shiny new crock pot.

Slow Cooker Jambalaya (adapted from Robin Miller’s recipe and Diana Rattray’s recipe)

Ingredients
1 lb chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
½ pound turkey sausage
1 (28-oz) can diced tomatoes
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 cup chicken broth
3 tsps paprika
3 tsps chili powder
1 tsp hot sauce
1 lb cooked shrimp
2 cups raw rice, cooked

First, cook the sausage a little bit until brown on the outside and then dice it. 

In a slow cooker, combine chicken, sausage, bell pepper, onion, and celery.  

Add chicken broth and tomatoes.  Stir in spices. 

Cover and cook on High for 4 hours.  

About 20 minutes before eating, add shrimp and rice, mix together and let sit on low for about 20 minutes.  

Most of the water will be absorbed.

The jambalaya was ready just in time for everyone’s arrival.  The rice had great flavors but lacked the spicy kick that I so love.  I recommend adding more chili pepper and/or hot sauce if you really want spice.

I served the rice with a side of plantains (you know I can’t help myself).  The jambalaya got good reviews, but don’t take my word for it…hopefully those that ate it will comment.

Hungry yet?

4 comments:

  1. This looks delicious, I love the side of plaintains, probably makes as a good complement to the meal. So jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh... i'm stocking up on slow cooker meals for the fall/winter. this will be added to the list - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. was an awesome meal after a 5 hour /w traffic trip from DC to NY. i had a side of pound cake with my jabalaya haha.

    ReplyDelete